The main gathering of Latin American creators and the global animation, comic and videogame industries. Pixelatl summons each year creators from around the globe: professionals, executives, artists, students, and fans.
2022 Call for Entries
The 11th Pixelatl Animation, Videogames and Comic Festival will take place from September 6 to 10, 2022.
The chinelo 2022 will award works in 3 main categories. To apply, they must comply with the following characteristics:
I. Chinelo for the best international animated short film
- Films of any animated technique, with a duration of no more than 20 minutes to be considered a short film, may be nominated. - In the case of a work that mixes live action with animation, it must have frame animation over 60% of the total length of the short film. - If the language of the short film is other than English, it must have subtitles in that language in order to be understood and evaluated by the international jury. - Only those who have full copyright of the short film are eligible to compete. The application implies the authorization for three public screenings of the work free of charge during the Pixelatl Festival, for promotional and non-commercial purposes, as part of the official selection 2022. Participation in the competition implies acceptance of these rules and regulations.
II. Chinelo for the Best Mexican Student Animated Short Film
- Only short films made by Mexican students (residing in Mexico or abroad) or by foreigners who are studying in Mexico, who are studying for a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent, may participate. They must prove it by attaching a photo of their student ID card valid at the time of registering the short film or a proof of studies in the images section of the Filmfreeway platform. - Any animation theme and technique is accepted, as long as they are narrative and animated works: non-narrative exercises will not be accepted, or those that do not have frame animation for at least 60% of the short film's duration. - In this category, only works with a minimum duration of 2 minutes and a maximum of 10 minutes may participate. - In the case of a work that mixes live action with animation, it must have frame animation over 60% of the total length of the short film. - If the language of the short film is other than English, it must have subtitles in that language in order to be understood by the international jury.
III. Chinelo for the Best International Student Animated Short Film
- Only short films made by international students who are studying for a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent may participate. They must prove this by attaching a photo of their student ID card, valid at the time of submitting the short film, in the image section of the entry form. - Any animation theme and technique is admitted, as long as they are narrative and animated works: non-narrative exercises will not be admitted, or those that do not have frame animation for at least 60% of the short film's duration. - In this category, only works with a minimum duration of 2 minutes and a maximum of 10 minutes may participate. - In the case of a work that mixes live action with animation, it must have frame animation over 60% of the total length of the short film. - If the language of the short film is other than English, it must have subtitles in that language in order to be understood by the international jury.
IV. Special Chinelo: Eso que nos Une
- The best works in all categories that address or relate to the theme of the Pixelatl Manifesto 2022 will compete for the special Chinelo Eso que nos Une. -The jury will be composed of people specialized in social, environmental and human rights issues, journalists or film critics.V. Youth Jury Award - The Youth Jury will be composed of 5 young people between 18 and 26 years old, the award will be chosen among the short films belonging to the "Official Selection" category. The call for the jury will be available at convocatoriaspixelatl.com starting in July.
VI. Audience Special Mention
During the screening of the Mexican Student Short Film selection, the audience will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite short film. The short film with the most votes will receive a special mention from the public, and the details of the voting will be explained in a press release published on Pixelatl's social networks.
VII. SAE Mexico Award for Best Audio Design in an Animated Short Film
The technical award for best audio design in an animated short film will be chosen from among the short films selected for both the international and student categories.
2020 Festival Coverage (ARCHIVE)
With an ambitious program of conferences and business meetings, the Mexican association Pixelatl presented the program of its festival, promising that “it will not be another cycle of online conferences like so many that have emerged lately”, but an international bonding and learning experience for all artists and entrepreneurs in the creative industries of Mexico and Latin America.
The event, which will take place from September 1 to 5 online as a result of the COVID- 19 pandemic, will be attended by vice presidents and top executives from the main international networks such as Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Netflix , Fox, Discovery Kids, Sony Pictures Animation, Disney Animation Studios, Dreamworks Animation TV, Amazon Studios, the UK’s BBC, PBS, and Televisa, among others, which will be available to participating studios to have business meetings where they will show ideas for new intellectual properties or their capabilities for service work.
In the midst of the economic crisis, a consequence of the COVID pandemic, the creative industry can be an engine of economic recovery for Mexico and Latin America. Each Festival is part of a process that takes place over the course of the year, the best ten or twelve series or animated film projects that are presented to the networks are selected from the Ideatoon call. Some of the previous year’s projects are already being produced - José Iñesta, Pixelatl’s director.
For the delegates of the studios that attend, a pre-agenda of business meetings is prepared based on information that they fill out after registering their participation. Also, there is a help desk during the networking event to help networks find more appointments with studios from Latin America.
National and international studios participate in the event to recruit new talent. In previous years, for example, Quebec companies have hired Mexican creators both to work remotely from Mexico or to take them to their studios in Canada. Moreover, bigger studios take advantage of the event to meet new talent and emerging artists so that they can hire them. This year major studios will be recruiting and doing portfolio reviews like Laika, Bento Box, Disney, and Nickelodeon,” explained Christian Bermejo, Pixelatl’s Artistic Director.
Women in Animation
During the press conference, Bermejo was in charge of presenting details of the event's program, where he pointed out that it was designed to highlight and promote female talent in the industry. For this reason, among the main guests at the festival are Rebecca Sugar, creator of Steven Universe, or the stellar presentation of Onyx Equinox, an original Crunchyroll series created by Mexican Sofía Alexander.
Other prominent guests include Taneka Stots, who has also been a comic book editor; Julia Pott, creator of the acclaimed HBO Max animated series “Summer Camp Island”; art director Linda Chen, who is currently working at Dreamworks TV on Guillermo del Toro's Tales of Arcadia series; the German-based Dutch illustrator “Loish”, whose illustrations go viral on social media globally; or Matisse Gonzalez Jordán, Bolivian animator who will present a pilot developed for Cartoon Network.
With over one hundred activities that make up the 2020 Pixelatl Festival program, the following also stand out:
• The exclusive premiere of a new Cartoon Network show
• Four talks and panels by Nick animation, from an artistic and business perspective
• A panel with the Supervising Directors of the adult animated series that are icons: Bojack
Horseman, The Simpson, American Dad, Midnight Gospel, Paradise PD.
• Panel with ILM executives and artists about the Star Wars universe
• Disney Animation panel with legendary animators
• Presentation with the creators of “Duncanville”, the new FOX flagship series that is about to be released.