This event is combining the inspiring opportunities of an academic conference with the possibilities of a film festival. Since 2011 we are transcending conceptual boundaries to connect international and local artists, scholars, researchers, communicators, and distributors. Embracing fine-arts and creative enterprises. We invite you to come together to exchange, communicate, network and enjoy stimulating art/work/research/people.
The topic of UNDER_the_RADAR_2019 is “REAL TIME IDENTITY”
This covers conceptual, theoretical, artistic and practical approaches, experiences and discussions of rather abstract terms like “time”, “reality”, ”existence”, “memory”, “identity”, “interpretation”, “anticipation”, “integrity”, “authenticity”, “factuality”, “heritage”, “community”, “projection”, “distortion” - and connected or related notions.
The connection - even in a comprehensive and open understanding - to animation and experimental media art should be clearly recognizable. Our subheading:
How the interaction with our image of the past and our ideas of the future shape the work in film, media, art, and connected hybrids at our current moment. - points out our interest in submissions that combine academic analysis and research with real-world applications and uses. A connection to documenting or documentary type (or related) work is possible and also the (re-)interpretation of historical artifacts, work, or activities.
2019 Conference Programme
Monday 1 July
- Presentation: Asifa Austria Publications, ASIFA KEIL 101 – 100 Ausstellungen in 11 Jahren. / GLOBAL ANIMATION THEORY – International Perspectives at Animafest Zagreb, 20:00
Tuesday 2, July
- Kathrin Steinbacher, Austria: Below the surface. Abstraction in Animation:, An exploration of animations unique ability to visualise the experiential. PRESENTATION: Tuesday, July 2. 10:30 @ Q21 – MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
- Nicolas Brault, Canada: Brain visualization and theory of mind: creation of a brain-computer interface PRESENTATION: Thuesday, July 2. 11:00 @ Q21 – MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
- Birgitta Hosea, United Kingdom, Live Animation: From Lightning Sketch to Lasers, PRESENTATION: Tuesday, July 2. 11:30 @ Q21 – MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
- Virgil Widrich & Martin Reinhart, Austria, Time Bending Media – Concept and Making of “tx-reverse 360°”, PRESENTATION: Tuesday, July 2. 12:30 @ Q21 – MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
- Stefan Stratil, Austria, The distorted space-time continuum between feature film and animation PRESENTATION: Tuesday, July 2. 13:00 @ Q21 MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
- Noel Palazzo, United States of America, Eye-Fidelity, Identity Construction in Abstract Animation. PRESENTATION: Tuesday, July 2. 13:30 @ Q21 MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
Wednesday, 3 July
- Jorgelina Orfila & Francisco Ortega-Grimaldo, United States of America, “Stayin’ Alive:”,Expanding the life of live-action characters through animation.. PRESENTATION: Wednesday, July 3. 10:30 @ MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
- Zsolt Gyenes, Hungary,The role of hybrid media and error in the abstract motion picture. PRESENTATION: Wednesday, July 3. 11:00 @ MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
- Ruth Lingford, United Kingdom, Dreaming and Animation. PRESENTATION: Wednesday, July 3. 11:30 @ Q21 MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
- Ramon Reichert, Austria, Transient stories. Storytelling on Instagram, Facebook & Snapchat. PRESENTATION: Wednesday, July 3. 12:30 @ MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
- Dirk de Bruyn, Australia, Identity Shifts: Migrating from Analog to Digital Practice PRESENTATION: Wednesday, July 3. 13:00 @ Q21 MuseumsQuartier / Raum D
Thursdsay, 4 July
- Nancy Denney-Phelps, United States of America, Unsung Women Heroes of Animation PRESENTATION: Thursday, July 4. 10:30 @ Filmhaus Kino
- Marie Ketzscher, Germany, Watching experimental and animation films by female authors in times of #metoo. PRESENTATION: Thursday, July 4. 11:30 @ Filmhaus Kino
- Paola Bristot, Italy, Tesla Project, PRESENTATION: Thursday, July 4. 12:30 @ Filmhaus Kino
- Anita Killi, Norway, Reality and feelings in small paper pieces. PRESENTATION: Thursday, July 4. 13:30 @ Filmhaus Kino
Friday, 5 July
- Radar Pitch / Project Slam. RADAR PITCH: Friday, July 5. 10:00 @ Filmhaus Kino
- Real / Time / Identity / Discourse PANEL DISCUSSION with Ruth Lingford and Robert Dassanowsky. Friday, July 5. 13:30 @ Filmhaus Kino
- Laure Goasguen, France, How distribution can help you reach the next level of your career?. PRESENTATION: Friday, July 5. 12:30 @ Filmhaus Kino
- Rachel Gutgarts, Israel, Success – and then what?. PRESENTATION: Friday, July 5. 13:00 @ Filmhaus Kino
2019 Call For Papers (Archive)
“Real Time Identity”
How the interaction with our image of the past and our idea of the future shape the work in film, media, art, and connected hybrids at our current moment.
Scheduled from 1-5 July 2019, Vienna, Austria
Submit an abstract in English for twenty-minute academic presentations.
All presentations must be thematically related to this year’s topic.
Sketched ideas for concepts are in the below-included section, but we are also open to additional suggestions.
For each proposal, the applicant is required to fill out a separate online entry form.
Only correctly filled out online-forms will be accepted.
Duration of call: 7 February to 7 April 2019
Deadline for submissions: 7 April 201