Boles, Kiki of Montparnesse, Mr. Hublot in the Cartoon D'Or Finalists
The 5 finalists for the Cartoon D'Or award (Best European short animated film) have been announced.
Cartoon D'Or is the premiere European award for the best European short animated film of the year. It was created in 1991 by CARTOON to both boost the development of European animation and to counteract the lack of awards for animation in the major European film festivals (Cannes, Berlin, Venice Film Festival etc.).
Aardman's Nick Park (Wallace and Gromit) and Sylvain Chomet (The Triplettes of Belleville) have been among the past Cartoon D'Or Winners for their short films Creature Comforts (the first Cartoon D'Or Winner) and The Old Lady and the Pigeon respectively. Each year it selects 5-6 nominees, whose films have already received a prize at the partner European animation festivals.
The 2014 jury was composed of producer Eric Goossens (Walking the Dog, Belgium), director/producer Tony Loeser (MotionWorks, Germany) and director Benjamin Renner (France), and selected 5 shorts for this year's Cartoon d'Or.
4 out of 5 nominated films are produced/ co-produced in France.
Kiki of Montparnasse by Amelie Harrault tells the story of the unwary muse of major avant-garde painters of the early twentieth century.
Harrault also worked in last year's Cartoon D'Or finalist Betty's Blues (France/Belgium)
Mr. Hublot (Laurent Witz & Alexandre Espigares, Luxembourg / France), recipient of the Academy Award for Best Animated Short in 2013 is among the nominees.
The Autour de Minuit production The Christmas Log (La bûche de Noël) parodies the Christmas presents and feast in the object animation manner of Stéphane Aubier & Vincent Patar.
Another stop-motion entry, the debut short animation film by Eric Montchaud, Anatole's Little Saucepan (La petite casserole d'Anatole) is a sweet story of small Anatole, who is always dragging around his little saucepan.
The Slovenian entry (and the third stop-motion finalist) is Boles by Špela Čadež. Based on the short story "Her Lover" by Maksim Gorky, the puppet film talks about Filip, who lives in a poor neighbourhood and dreams of a writer's glory.
A letter that his neighbour and prostitute Tereza will make him write for her fiancé triggers an unexpected train of events.
The list of 5 nominees:
- Anatole's Little Saucepan (La petite casserole d'Anatole), Eric Montchaud, France, 5'47, prod: JPL Films
- Boles, Spela Cadez, Slovenia / Germany, 13',prod: No History / Hupe Film
- Kiki of Montparnasse (Mademoiselle Kiki et les Montparnos), Amelie Harrault, France, 14' 27, prod: Les Trois Ours
- Mr Hublot, Laurent Witz & Alexandre Espigares, Luxembourg / France, 11'48, prod: Zeilt Productions
- The Christmas Log (La bûche de Noël), Stéphane Aubier & Vincent Patar, Belgium / France, 26', prod: PANIQUE! / Autour de Minuit
Also have a look at the eligibile animated shorts that took part in the 2014 competition.
- 850 meters Joeri Christiaen Belgium
- Absent Minded Roberto Catani Italy
- Ana - A Palindrome Joana Toste Portugal
- Anomalies Ben Cady UK
- Astigmatismo Nicolaï Troshinsky Spain
- Baths Tomek Ducki Poland / UKBlame it on the Seagull Julie Engaas Norway
- Canis Marc Riba & Anna Solanas Spain
- Cargo Cult Bastien Dubois France
- El ruido del mundo Coke Riobóo Spain
- Hasta Santiago Mauro Carraro France / Switzerland
- In the Air is Christopher Gray Felix Massie UK
- It's up to you Kasja Naess Norway
- Jamon Iria Lopez UK / Spain
- Le Labyrinthe Mathieu Labaye Belgium
- Mia Wouter Bongaerts Belgium
- Mute Job, Joris & Marieke Netherlands
- No time for toes Kari Pieskä Finland
- Pandas Matus Vizar Slovakia
- Pommes Frites Balder Westein NL
- Rabbit and Deer Peter Vacz Hungary
- Rêves de brume Sophie Racine Belgium
- Through the Hawthorn A. Benner, P. Borg & G. Burditt UK
- Ziegenort Tomasz Popakul Poland
The stop-motion and Oscar-nominated Head Over Heels by Tim Reckart & Fodhla Cronin O'Reilly Roels won the Cartoon D'Or in 2013. The 5 nominated films will be screened during the Cartoon Forum, Toulouse (23-26 September 2014).
The Award Ceremony will take place on Thursday 25 September 2014 during Cartoon Forum in Toulouse. It will start with the screening of the nominated films in front of all animation professionals attending Cartoon Forum. The winner will receive a 10,000 EUR grant, thanks to the support of Creative Europe - MEDIA.
The Cartoon d'Or evening is sponsored by Région Midi-Pyrénées.