The International Animated Film Society, ASIFA-Hollywood, announced its nominations for the 41st Annual Annie Awards.
The Annie Awards cover 30 categories and include Best Animated Feature, Best Animated Special Production, Commercials, Short Subjects and Outstanding Individual Achievements.
3 non-US films, Miyazaki's The Wind Rises, Okiura's drama A Letter to Momo and the French candy Ernest and Celestine are included in the race for best animated feature.
Pixar (Monsters University), Universal Pictures (Despicable Me 2) and Disney (Frozen) are the essential candidates in a year where Dreamworks' Turbo and Blue Sky's Epic failed to compete.
Best Animated Feature:
- A Letter to Momo - GKIDS
- Despicable Me 2 - Universal Pictures
- Ernest & Celestine - GKIDS
- Frozen - Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Monsters University - Pixar Animation Studios
- The Croods - DreamWorks Animation
- The Wind Rises - The Walt Disney Studios
Disney's Frozen and Pixar's Monsters University lead the Annie race with 10 nominations each. Dreamworks' The Croods and Universal Pictures' Despicable Me 2 follow with 9 Annie nominations.
6 nominations for the French feature Ernest & Celestine (including director & writer nods), and 3 nominations for the Miyazaki anime The Wind Rises (Miyazaki himself is absent from the director category).
The exquisite, NFB-produced Gloria Victoria short by Theodor Ushev features in the short animation nominees, but Despicable Me 2: Puppy and the retro Disney Get a Horse! seem more safe candidates for an Annie Award.
The best student short category includes the UK-produced (and Oscar winner at the Student Academy Awards) Miss Todd by Kristina Yee.
View the main categories:
Best director (Animated Feature)
Chris Sanders, Kirk DeMicco - The Croods - DreamWorks Animation
David Soren - Turbo - DreamWorks Animation
Chris Wedge - Epic - Blue Sky Studios
Benjamin Renner, Vincent Patar, Stéphane Aubier - Ernest & Celestine - GKIDS
Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee - Frozen - Walt Disney Animation Studios
Outstanding Achievement, Writing in an Animated Feature Production
- Daniel Pennac - Ernest & Celestine - GKIDS
- Daniel Gerson, Robert L. Baird, Dan
- Scanlon - Monsters University - Pixar Animation Studios
- Miyazaki Hayao – The Wind Rises - The Walt Disney Studios
- Jennifer Lee - Frozen - Walt Disney Animation Studios
Best animated short subject:
- Despicable Me 2 - Puppy - Universal Pictures
- Get A Horse! - Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Gloria Victoria - National Film Board of Canada
- My Mom is an Airplane - Acme Filmworks
- The Numberlys - Moonbot Studios
Best Student Film
- Chicken or the Egg - Ringling College of Art and Design
- Kellerkind - Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg
- Miss Todd - Kristina Yee
- Move Mountain - Kirsten Lepore
- SEMÃ•FORO - University of Southern California
- The Final Straw - Ringling College of Art and Design
- Trusts & Estates - CalArts
- Wedding Cake - Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg
Three Winsor McCay recipients have been selected by the ASIFA-Hollywood Board of Directors – Katsuhiro Otomo, Steven Spielberg and Phil Tippett for their career contributions to the art of animation.
The June Foray Award will be given to Alice Davis for her significant and benevolent or charitable impact on the art and industry of animation; and the Certificate of Merit to the film "I Know That Voice" (Documentary).
Disney's Wreck-It Ralph was the recipient of 5 Annie Awards in the 2013 awards ceremony.
View all nominees at the Annie Awards official page.