Japan Media Arts Festival
The Japan Media Arts Festival is a comprehensive festival of Media Arts (Media Geijutsu in Japanese) that honors outstanding works from a diverse range of media – from animation and comics to media art and games. The festival gives awards in each of its four divisions: Art, Entertainment, Animation, and Manga. It also provides a platform for appreciation of the award-winning and other notable works. Since its start in 1997, the festival has recognized significant works of high artistry and creativity, and in addition to a yearly Exhibition of Award-winning Works, has held other events, such as symposiums, screenings.
(Archive) 2021 Call for entries:
The Japan Media Arts Festival Executive Committee is now accepting entries for the 25th Japan Media Arts Festival. All artists around the world, without distinction as to professional, amateur, independent, or commercial, are invited to submit their works.
- Eligible works are completed or released within a year before the deadline (September 5, 2020 ‒ September 3, 2021).
- From each division, the jury committee will select winners of the Grand Prizes, Excellence Awards, Social Impact Award, New Face Awards, and U-18 Award. All awards including Special Achievement Awards and Jury Selections will be announced in March 2022
- Each of the winners from the four divisions will receive a trophy and prize money up to 1,000,000 yen, and also win an opportunity to present their works at the Exhibition of Award- winning Works in Tokyo
Animation Division: Eligible works
Animated feature films, animated short films (including opening videos, ending videos, etc.), animated TV series, videos for streaming, etc.
- Full regulations
- Submission is free
- Entry form
- Deadline: September 3, 2021(18:00 Japan Standard Time)
2020 Festival Coverage
2019 Festival Coverage:
NB: 2023 Festival Dates are tentative
- From 23/09/2023 to 03/10/2023