He is a film and animation professional and scholar. He has studied Classics, Philosophy (Greece /UK) and film journalism (Glasgow University). Since 2011, he has been the Head Editor of Zippy Frames, one of the few international resources promoting exclusively European and independent animation worldwide, with readership from more than 129 countries overall.
He has been invited to major animation festivals, served as a member jury (Animafest Zagreb, Animanima Serbia, Fest Anča Slovakia, Anibar Kosovo), and curated Greek and international animation programmes. He was the first Greek Ambassador at the European Animation Awards (January 2017 – June 2018), and served as artistic director of Be there! Corfu Animation Festival (2011-17).
In 2016, he received the Norman McLaren – Evelyn Lambart Award (Society for Animation Studies) for Best Scholarly Article in Animation, for his paper about Waltz with Bashir (published in Jewish Film and New Media). He has published pieces on film and animation in academic articles and book volumes and is currently a PhD Candidate (Ionian University, Greece) researching contemporary European feature animation. He is a voting member of the Annie Awards (organized by ASIFA-Hollywood). In 2016, he started his own production company, Scheriaa Productions, and completed his one-minute short 'Homespital'. He works as Animation Programme Director for PÖFF Shorts (Tallinn, Estonia).
Articles by Vassilis Kroustallis
- 'Cryptozoo' Film Review: My Cryptid and Other Animals
- 'Flee' Review: Agency in A Closeted World
- 'Guard of Honour': Interview with Edmunds Jansons
- 'I Enjoy Getting Characters Back On the Stage: Interview with Marjolaine Perreten (Swiss Animation Portraits 2022)
- 'I Like Animation Projects That Go Deep Into the Subject': Interview with Saskia von Virág (Swiss Animation Portraits 2022)
- 'Marcel the Shell With Shoes On' Film Review: Trying to Be Part of A Whole
- 'Pinocchio' (2022) Film Review: An Autumnal Stop-Motion Family Sonata
- 'Suzume' by Makoto Shinkai | Film Review