Head Over Heels wins the Cartoon D'Or award
Cartoon D'Or is the premiere European award for the best European short animated film of the year. It was created in 1991 by CARTOON to counteract the lack of awards for animation inside the major European festivals and awards (Cannes, Berlin, Venice Film Festival etc.)
For the 2013 award, jury members selected the story of a couple upside down in Head Over Heels to get the coveted award.
The award was shared between director Tim Reckart & producer Fodhla Cronin O'Reilly (photo) for a film that was made at NFTS, UK.
Cartoon D'Or nominees (5-6 each year) are selected from a number of already awarded short films at partner animation festivals (such as Annecy, Anifest, Stuttgart, Zagreb etc.).
The 6 nominated films for 2013 were:
- Betty's Blues by Rémi Vandenitte (12 mn, France / Belgium, 2013) Prod: Les Films du Nord / La Boîte, ... Productions
- Head Over Heels by Timothy Reckart & Fodhla Cronin O'Reilly (10mn 20s, UK, 2012). Prod: NFTS
- I Am Tom Moody by Ainslie Henderson (6mn 55s, UK, 2012) Prod: Edinburgh College of Art
- Kali the Little Vampire by Regina Pessoa (9mn 20s, Portugal / France / Canada / Switzerland, 2012) Prod: Ciclope Filmes / ONF / Folimage / GDS
- Off the Track (Ecart de conduite) by Rocio Alvarez (4mn 7s, France, 2012) Prod: La Poudrière
- Women's Letters (Lettres de femmes) by Augusto Zanovello (11mn 15s, France, 2013) Prod: Pictor Media / Xbo Films
The 2013 jury was composed of producer Didier Brunner from Les Armateurs (France) and directors Anca Damian (Romania) and Enrique Gato (Spain). See all the eligible films that were entered into consideration.
Oh, Willy by Emma De Swaef and Marc James Roels won the Cartoon D'Or in 2012.
The Cartoon D' Or award ceremony took place in 19 September during the Cartoon Forum, Toulouse (17-20 September).