Breadwinner, Vincent, Zombillenium in Cartoon Movie 2018 Tributes Nominees
CARTOON MOVIE pitching and co-production event for animated features, has announced the finalists for Cartoon Tributes 2018, the awards for outstanding contribution to the development of European animation over the last year, divided into three categories – Director, Distributor and Producer of the Year .
European Director of the Year
- Dorota Kobiela (Poland) & Hugh Welchman (UK) are nominated for their long feature "Loving Vincent" (released October 2017). This film received the Public Prize at Annecy International Animated Film Festival 2017, The Best Feature at European Film Awards 2017 and is nominated for the Best Animated Feature Film at the Academy Awards (Oscars) 2018.
- Nora Twomey (Ireland) is nominated for the movie "The Breadwinner" (Same team as "Secret of Kells" and "Song of the Sea"). This long feature won an Annie Award for Best Animated Feature-Independent, and is nominated for the Best Animated Feature Film at the Academy Awards (Oscars) 2018.
- Arthur de Pins & Alexis Ducord (France) are nominated for the film "Zombillenium" (released in October 2017) which is also nominated for The Best Animated feature at the César Awards 2018. The movie was nominated for the European Film Awards and the Cannes Festival in 2017. This year, Alexis Ducord will present "In The Dark and Mysterious Forest" which is an adaptation from "Dans la Forêt Sombre et Mystérieuse" by Windshluss (aka Vincent Paronnaud who is known for co-writing and co-direction with Marjan Satrapi the highly acclaimed film "Persepolis").
- Benjamin Renner & Patrick Imbert (France) for "The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales" released in June 2017. The movie is nominated for The Best Animated feature at the César Awards 2018 and was nominated for the Best Animated Feature and Outstanding Achievement for Directing in an Animated Feature Production at Annie Awards 2018.
European Distributor of the Year
- Latido Films (Spain) is a sales company behind the international success of "Psiconautas: the Forgotten", "Selkirk, the Real Robinson", "Caroline and the Magic", "The Happets in the Rainbow", "Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles", "Memoirs of a Man in Pajamas", etc.
- Pro Films (Bulgaria) is distributor of indie animations in Bulgaria. Some of the films released by the company are "Manou the Swift", "Luis and the Aliens", "Marnie’s World", "Ploey: You Never Fly Alone", etc.
- SND Groupe M6 (France) is the film distribution subsidiary of the M6 Group, a TV network in Europe. SND handles film distribution, video publishing, international sales and film production. Recent animation highlights include: "Asterix, Land of the Gods", "The Nutjob 1 & 2" and "The Jungle Bunch."
- Windmill Film (The Netherlands)s an independent film distributor exploiting theatrical, video, TV and VoD rights in Benelux. Recent animation titles: "Ernest & Celestine", "Minuscule - The Valley of the Lost Ants", "My Life as a Courgette", "The Jungle Bunch", etc.
European Producer of the Year
- Platige Image (Poland) / Kanaki Films (Spain) / Walking the Dog (Belgium) / Wüste Film (Germany) / Animationsfabrik (Germany) / Puppetworks (Hungary) for "Another Day of Life", a non-fiction record of three months of the Angolan Civil War by the Polish writer Ryszard Kapuściński directed by Raul de la Fuente and Damian Nenow ("Paths of Hate").
- A. Film Production (Denmark) releasing 5 animation films between October 2017 and December 2018. A. Film Production had and will have 5 feature film premieres in the time of a little more than a Year: “The Incredible story of the Giant Pear" (With Nordisk Film - DK) and “The Little Vampire” (Dutch/German/Danish) in October 2017. "Up and away" in February 2018 (Formerly known as "Hodja and the Magic Carpet"), "Luis and the Aliens" (Germany/Luxembourg/Denmark) which will have its premiere in Denmark in June 2018. And then their own Danish "The Tickered Ninja" with a premiere scheduled in December 2018.
- TAT productions (France) for "The Jungle Bunch" (released at the end of July 2017), a feature animation film with 1 million of viewers at an international level.
- Superprod (France) and Bidibul Productions (Luxembourg) for "White Fang", an animated adventure inspired by Jack London's famous novel. The film was running in competition in the Sundance Kids Section and will have its premiere in France on March 28.
Eurimages Co-production Development Awards
The Council of Europe’s Eurimages Fund has joined forces with ten co-production markets all over the world in order to award the Eurimages Co-production Development Award. This award has been created to promote the Fund’s role in encouraging international co-production from the initial stages of a project. Check out the nominees
CARTOON – European Association of Animation Film is an international non-profit association based in Brussels that organises Cartoon Movie, together with Cartoon Forum, a co-production forum for animated TV series, Cartoon Master training seminars and Cartoon Connection, a programme intended to explore ways of reinforcing cooperation between EU and non-EU animation professionals. Over 900 professionals attending Cartoon Movie will be voting the winners who will be announced in Bordeaux, France on March 9, 2018.