Decorado, Tad the Lost Explorer, JP Zaramella in the 2018 Quirino Awards Finalists
A total of 273 submitted works from 14 countries were presented to the call for entries for the new Ibero-American Animation Quirino Awards.
Twenty four productions, coming from nine Ibero-American countries will compete for the statuettes of this first edition. Productions from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Spain and Uruguay will aim for the Quirino Awards in the nine categories.
It was expected that Spanish feature film Tad, the Lost Explorer and the Secret of King Midas (dir. Enrique Gato & David Alonso) would get nominations (here: best feature - best animation design - best sound design).
The meta-narrative, graphic format-style Decorado by Alberto Vázquez is also nominated in the short animation category. However, the surprise here is the short film from Brazil Way of Giants (dir. Alois Di Leo, produced by Sinlogo Animation) with two nominations (best animation design - best sound design and music); also the Mexican short Cerulia by Sofia Carrillo González (Produced by Nahuyaca Films), which got two nominations as well (best animation short - best animation design).
The Colombian/Uruguean feature El libro de Lila by Marcela Rincón González (Fosfenos Media /Palermo Estudio) got also two nominations (best feature -best visual development).
Statistics: Spain (12), Colombia (5) and Mexico (5).
Selection Jury: animation historian Giannalberto Bendazzi, producer and distributor Eleanor Coleman, producer and consultant Joan Lofts, animators David Feiss and Raúl García.
Best Ibero-American feature animation nominees:
- ANA AND BRUNO, Directed by Carlos Carrera, Produced by Altavista Films, Lo Coloco Films, in coproduction with Ítaca Films, Ánima Estudios, Five 7 Media, Argos Servicios Informativos (Mexico)
- DEEP, Directed by Julio Soto Gurpide, Produced by The Thinklab, in coproduction with The Kraken Films (Spain)
- EL LIBRO DE LILA, Directed by Marcela Rincón González, Produced by Fosfenos Media, en coproduction con Palermo Estudio (Colombia, coproduction with Uruguay)
- TAD, THE LOST EXPLORER AND THE SECRET OF KING MIDAS, Directed by Enrique Gato & David Alonso, Produced by Telecinco Cinema, Telefonica Studios, 4Cats Pictures, Tadeo Jones y el secreto del Rey Midas AIE, Ikiru Films, Lightbox Animation Studios (Spain)
Best Ibero-American Short Film Nominees:
- AFTERWORK, Directed by Luis Uson & Andres Aguilar, Produced by Matte CG, in collaboration with Uson Studio, Apus Estudios (Ecuador, coproduction with Spain and Peru)
- CERULIA, Directed by Sofia Carrillo González, Produced by Nahuyaca Films (Mexico)
- DECORADO, Directed by Alberto Vázquez, Produced by UniKo, in coproduction with Autour de Minuit and Abano Producións (Spain, coproduction with France)
Best Ibero-American Animation Series
- OLD FOLK´S TALES – 3rd SEASON, Directed by Marcelo Dematei & Carlos Smith, Produced by HierroAnimación, Piaggiodematei, Señal Colombia (Colombia, coproduction with Spain)
- POCOYO – 4th SEASON, Directed by Alex Hidalgo, Produced by Zinkia Entertainment (Spain
- PAPER PORT, Directed by Alvaro Ceppi & Hugo Covarrubias, Produced by Zumbastico Studios en coproduction con Gloob, Señal Colombia, ANTV, Pakapaka, TVN (Chile, coproduction with Brazil, Argentina and Colombia)
- THE TINIEST MAN IN THE WORLD, Directed by Juan Pablo Zaramella, Produced by Les Films De L’Arlequin, JPL Films, Can Can Club (Argentina, coproduction with France)
Quirino Award for the Best Ibero-American Animation School Short Film
- TANTALUS, Directed by Juan Facundo Ayerbe & Christian Krieghoff, Universidad de Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- A DAY IN THE PARK, Directed by Diego Porral
- ESNE, Escuela Universitaria de Diseño, Innovación y Tecnología (Spain)
- WE ARE THE IMMIGRANTS, Directed by Catalina Matamoros, University of Southern California (Colombia, coproduction with USA)
Ibero-American Animation Quirino Awards are named in tribute of the creator of the first feature length animation film in history, the Italian-Argentinean Quirino Cristiani, who in 1917 directed the (now lost) “El Apóstol” this Argentinean production, The main sponsor of the Quirino Awards is the Tourism department of Tenerife. Its first edition takes place on April 6th and 7th in the island of Tenerife (Spain).
SIGN UP: Want to read more free articles like this? Sign up for Our Newsletter