AnimaSyros International Animation Festival + Agora 2023
Animasyros International Animation Festival is the largest festival and Animation market of its kind in Greece and one of the 20 most important globally. It started in 2008 and it is annually held on the island of Syros the capital of the Cyclades, at the neoclassical town of Hermoupolis, and in other locations on the island.
The festival includes screenings, tributes to international animation festivals, artists and studios, media literacy activities for children, youngsters, adults, persons with disabilities, and senior citizens, parties, and tons of parallel events. 2022 marks the 8th year of the "Agora" animation market, a major concurrent event, steadily evolving into an important international hub of creative professional networking, targeting the development of synergies among animation professionals. The Animasyros Agora includes pitching sessions, presentations, and masterclasses by prominent representatives of the global animation industry.
Εvents are free to the public and take place at the imposing Apollo Theatre, the Hermoupolis Cultural Centre, the University of the Aegean premises, the central Miaouli Square, and various locations across the island of Syros.
2023 Call for Entries
The 16th edition of Animasyros will be held on September 26 - October 1, 2023. The main thematics of this year's edition are dedicated to Iberoamerican animation and to Animation & Ancient Greece. The Animasyros 2023 visual identity was created by the Greek animation and motion design studio ODD Bleat.
- The festival welcomes only ANIMATED films from all over the globe.
- The first public screening of submitted films must have occurred strictly AFTER the 1st of January 2021.
- The limit between shorts and features is set at 45min. (anything <45mins is considered short, everything >45mins is a feature).
- Best Feature (Audience Award)
- Best Short Film (Professional)
- Best Student Short Film
- The TV & Commissioned Film awards are split into:
-Best Commissioned (adverts, infomercials, etc.)
-Best Music Video
-Best TV Episode
- Best Greek Film
- Best K.ID.S Film
- Best Animapride Film (LGBTQI+ Film)
- Best Pitch for an Agora Project
Animasyros International Animation Festival & Agora is an independent action of the not-for-profit organisation based in Athens Greece PLATFORMA - Urban Culture Co. aiming at the promotion of the animated film.
- Regulations and submissions only via FilmFreeway
- Deadline: 30 June 2023 (regular), 31 July 2023 (late). There is no entry fee.
2021 Festival Coverage
2020 Festival Coverage
2019 Festival Coverage:
This year's theme festival, AnimaGreen, is dedicated to the environment and sustainability. Animasyros approaches sustainable development not only in relation to the environment but as a process that ensures the preservation and spread of artistic heritage and creation through new technologies.
2019 marks the 5th year of “Agora”, the festival’s animation marketplace, a major concurrent event, steadily evolving into an important international hub of creative professional networking, targeting the development of synergies among animation professionals
2018 Festival Coverage
- Negative Space, (OO) Get 11th Animasyros awards
- Full Schedule for the 11th Animasyros
- Selection Results for the 11th Animasyros festival
- Animasyros Athens Animation Agora (24-26 Sep): Full Schedule
NB: 2023 Festival Dates are tentative
- From 26/09/2023 to 01/10/2023