The Sustainability Animation Residency (SAR) 2024
SAR was set up to help amplify the urgency of environmental action with the powerful tools of animation. During the six-week SAResidency, the winner and chosen director will be able to develop a short film project tackling environmental topics in any chosen animation technique.
2024 Call for entries
SAR’s objective is to award one of the competing proposals for an ‘Eco Ani Short’ touching on any aspect of the environment such as climate change, endangered oceans, resource scarcity, future of food and agriculture, future cities, energy supply, mobility, species diversity, waste management, pollution, health, sustainable fashion, and any other suitable topics.
Situated near Arles, SAR seeks to tap into the unique pool of a world-class animation industry based in and around Arles, Avignon, Montpellier and Marseille, supporting creative talent in a global context. The director will have the opportunity to engage in weekly meetings with either local animation professionals or international coaches online. Furthermore, the SAResidency includes travel, local transport, accommodation, a Per Diem, as well as a two day visit to the Annecy Animation Festival, and a celebratory evening, CineSAR, with a final presentation of the SAResident’s project.
Applicants must be graduates of a higher education art, film, or animation school and therefore qualify as a director or creative professional.
To apply you need:
● A motivation letter why SAR is important for your project.
● A synopsis or treatment of your binding project proposal, containing a written description and outline, supported with graphics, and or sketches.
● The topic of sustainability: intentions, purpose, and possible impact of the project in an environmental context.
● A mood board and soundscape including musical cues, and ideally some technical notes.
● Your Curriculum Vitae
● Your Showreel and previous works, including student works.
● You must be able to commit to be present the entire time throughout the six week residency
● your application document must not be longer than 30 pages
- Deadline: 15 January 2024
Important dates for applicants:
● SAR Shortlist announcement: Mid-February 2024
● SAR Winner announcement: Mid-March 2024
● SAR Residency, St. Remy de Provence: 18 May-June 29 June 2024
● 2 Days at Annecy Festival: 9-15 June 2024
● Project Presentation at CinéSAR evening at the Residence: 28 June 2024
2023 Event Coverage
- SAS Winner: Corentin Cholley The Vanishing of the Animals
SAR SHORTLIST 2022
Ori Goldberg, Glug
Marlijn Van Nuenen, Waterloos
YiYang, Sun Flowing
Camille Aigloz & Zé Hinga, The light and the toad
Corentin Cholley, The vanishing of animals
- Gabrielle Lissot Les Louves
- From 18 May 2024 to 29 June 2024