The Sustainability Animation Residency (SAR) 2023
SAR was set up to help amplify the urgency of environmental action with the powerful tools of animation. During the six-week SAResidency, the winner and chosen director
will be able to develop a short film project tackling environmental topics in any chosen animation technique.
2023 Call for entries
Situated near Arles, SAR seeks to tap into the unique pool of a world-class animation industry based in and around Arles, and to support their talents in a global context.
The director will have the opportunity to engage in weekly meetings with either local animation professionals or international coaches online. The SAResidency covers travel, local transport, accommodation, a Per Diem, as well as a visit to the Annecy Animation Festival, and a final presentation at a celebratory evening. Applicants must be a graduate of a higher education art, film, or animation school and therefore qualify as a director or creative professional.
To apply you need:
- A motivation letter why SAR is important for your project.
● A synopsis or treatment of your binding project proposal, containing a written description and outline, supported with graphics, and or sketches.
● The topic of sustainability: intentions, purpose, and possible impact of the project in an environmental context.
● A mood board and soundscape including musical cues, and ideally some technical notes.
● Your Curriculum Vitae
● Your Showreel and previous works, including student works.
Important dates for applicants:
- 1 November - 15 January 2023: Submissions
- 13 February 2023: SAR Shortlist announcement
- Mid-March 2023: SAR Winner announcement
- 20 May – 1 July 2023: SAR Residency, St. Remy de Provence
- 12 - 16 June 2023: 2 Days at Annecy Festival
- 30 June 2023: Project Presentation at CinéSAR evening at the Residence
- Deadline: 15 January 2023
- SAS Winner: Corentin Cholley The Vanishing of the Animals
SAR SHORTLIST 2022
Ori Goldberg, Glug
Marlijn Van Nuenen, Waterloos
YiYang, Sun Flowing
Camille Aigloz & Zé Hinga, The light and the toad
Corentin Cholley, The vanishing of animals
- Gabrielle Lissot Les Louves