35 Animation Documentaries for Rising of Lusitania Animadoc Fest
- Written by ZF Team
The Liverpool festival also includes mockumentaries and direct cinema films. Discover the complete line-up.
From among all entries, 35 films from 22 countries were accepted into the competition (9 student works and 26 professional works) for the first Rising of Lusitania -AnimaDoc Film Festival (1-3/2/2019, Liverpool). very diverse in terms of topics, types of documentary approaches and animation techniques.
Rising of Lusitania -AnimaDoc Film Festival is an international competition dedicated entirely to animated documentaries. It takes flight from Winsor McCay's short film The Sinking of the Lusitania (its port of registry was Liverpool); 100 years after the premiere of Winsor McCay's movie it wants to commemorate those facts in the very same city.
"One of the most common questions, that I heard, when I spoke about the idea of initiating an international festival dedicated only to animated documentaries was: is there enough of them to create a separate festival? 75 submissions from around the world and from the period 2017 - 2018, justify the idea of establishing RISING OF LUSITANIA - AnimaDoc Film Festival" festival director Piotr Kardas (Animation Across Borders) tells Zippy Frames.
Musical Traumas by Milos Tomić is selected for the first Rising of Lusitania - Animadoc FF
Next to the "classic" documentaries based on the relations of people related to the event, "direct cinema" documentaries or portraits dedicated to the life of one person are to be found; also more intimate, experimental, poetic documentaries, but also mockumentaries as well.
My goal was to show the richness and diversity in this specific and unique segment of animation. The spectrum of topics is very wide: from those related to the present times (refugees, wars, human rights, Internet, identity, society, art, feminism and motherhood) to historical ones. What is missing, unfortunately, is a films related to the environment, ecology and animal rights issues.
I believe that in the near future RISING OF LUSITANIA start to be an international bridge between animation and documentary, as well as an inspiring platform where the creators of animated documentaries will have a good opportunities to develop and promoting their ideas and projects as well to present their works. And for the Audience it will be a fascinating space to discover the unlimited possibilities of the animation and issues and topics to talks and think about. - Piotr Kardas
The full selection results of Rising of Lusitania - Animadoc Film Festival:
- 32-Rbit (Germany/Mexico 2018, 7’45”), Víctor Orozco Ramírez / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- 39 Weeks, 6 Days (Slovakia 2017, 7’52”), Joanna Kozuch & Boris Šima / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- A Cup of Anxietea (Sweden 2017, 7’50”), Emma Hjelm / DOCUMENTARY / school
- A Photo of Me (Australia 2017, 10’48”), Dennis Tupicoff / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Art For Lawyers (UK 2017, 9’), Rory Waudby-Tolley / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- CARLOTTA'S FACE (Germany 2018, 5’), VALENTIN RIEDL / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- D|DK (Germany 2017, 12’), Karsten Wiesel / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Destined to be Dead (Estonia 2018, 10’50”), Francesco Rosso / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Durrenwaid 8 (Germany 2018, 7’), Kirsten Carina and Ines Christine Geißer / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- DROP BY DROP (Portugal 2017, 9’15”), Laura Gonçalves & Xá / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Egg (France/Denmark 2018, 12’07”), Martina Scarpelli / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Everywhere (Germany 2017, 6’49”), Luise Fiedler / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Ex Terrat (Austria/France 2016, 5’45”), Reinhold Bidner / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Grands canons (France 2018, 10’45”), Alain Biet / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Las del Diente (Spain/USA 2018, 05’28”), ANA PÉREZ LÓPEZ / DOCUMENTARY / school
- Life of Death (Indonesia 2018, 5’22”), Bryan Arfiandy and Jason Kiantoro / MOCKUMENTARY / school
- Love He Said (France 2018, 5’40”), Ines Sedan / DOCUMENTARY / profesional
- Little Boy (Norway 2018, 5’), Kristian Pedersen / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Marfa (UK 2017, 8’22”), The Brothers McLeod / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Marzuki (Indonesia 2018, 06’52”), Muhammad Syahalam / DOCUMENTARY / school
- Musical Traumas (Serbia 2018, 10’26”), Milos Tomić / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- NANA (Canada 2017, 5’5”), Alexandra (Ali) Kellner / DOCUMENTARY / school
- OBON (Germany 2018, 15’), Andre Hörmann, Samo ((Anna Bergmann) / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Stories About Him (Taiwan 2017, 12’46”), Yung Shiuan / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- SURPRISE (Portugal 2017, 8’40”), Paulo Patrício / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- The Children Of Concrete (France 2017, 06’42”), Jonathan PHANHSAY-CHAMSON / EMCA DOCUMENTARY / school
- The Driver Is Red (USA 2017, 14’37”), Randall Christopher / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- The Greatest Briton? (UK 2018,5’), Steve Roberts / MOCKUMENTARY / professional
- The Outlander (Austria, Portugal, Bulgaria 2018, 5’16”), Ani Antonova / DOCUMENTARY / school
- The Redness of Red (UK 2018, 3’19”), Emily Downe / DOCUMENTARY / school
- The sinking of the truth (Denmark 2018, 7’30”), AniDox Collective / MOCKUMENTARY / professional
- Tracing Addai (Germany 2018, 29’54”), Esther Niemeier / DOCUMENTARY / professional
- Travelogue Tel Aviv (Switzerland 2017, 6’), Samuel Patthey / DOCUMENTARY / school
- Unravelling the Ocean’s Veil (Brazil 2017, 8’48”), Quico Meirelles / o2filmes / MOCKUMENTARY / professional
- Year (Poland 2018, 11’40”), Małgorzata Bosek-Serafińska / DOCUMENTARY / professional
Carlotta's Face - Valentin Riedl
Rising of Lusitania -AnimaDoc Film Festival will be held on Liverpool (UK), 1-3 February 2019 . Venue: The Tapestry Liverpool. The organizer of the Rising of Lusitania-AnimaDoc Film Festival is Animation Across Borders, in collaboration with Big Adventure Cinema.