57 Animation Shorts for PÖFF Shorts 2020
More than 110 short films and animation films will be screened between 17th and 25th November both online and in cinemas.
Alongside giving all the films the chance to win the Grand Prix in their respective programmes, PÖFF Shorts is also a qualifying festival for BAFTA, the European Film Awards and – for the first time, beginning this year in – the Academy Awards.
“The world´s struggles emanate from the authors´ stories as they always do, allowing us to look at the world in a different way. This year we perhaps see it more than ever. But whether it is despite of or due to the global circumstances, we are in it together. With this year being the first year of PÖFF Shorts being an Academy Award qualifying festival, we are proud to be a part of this diverse community - Grete Nellis, Head of PÖFF SHORTS
In the PÖFF Shorts Animation Competition, 57 films showcasing an eclectic range of styles and techniques will be screened.
Films competing for the Best Short Animation include IT WASN’T THE RIGHT MOUNTAIN, MOHAMMAD (France, Dir. Mili Pechere) a forceful retelling of the Abraham & Isaac Biblical story by a film which premiered at this year’s edition of the Berlin Film Festival.
Also Russian animation director Sasha Svirsky’s MY GALACTIC TWIN GALACTION, a hilarious meta-comment on artistic identity (premiered at Berlinale Shorts 2020).
SERIAL PARALLELS (Germany/Hong Kong) is an experimental animation by the acclaimed artist Max Hattler which re-imagines the Hong Kong architecture as parallel rows of film strips, a film that won the Off-Limits award at the Annecy Film Festival.
Acclaimed and emerging LA filmmaker Kangim Kim returns with KKUM, a clever and affecting film about a mother’s dreams and the repercussions in her son’s life. A humane story of adaptation intimately told is TIE by Portuguese animation director Alexandra Ramires ( Xá ).
In the New Talents Animation Competition for Best Student Film, audiences at PÖFF Shorts will get to see NAKED, this year’s winner of a Cristal for a Graduation Film at Annecy. The film from Russian director Kirill Khachaturov tells a story of contemporary relations under a superhero cloak and an exciting experimental aesthetic.
Polish animation director Natalia Durszewicz presents her own PORTRAIT OF A WOMAN, a film which deals and forcefully (and elegantly) defies prescribed stereotypes.
US filmmaker Mitch McGlocklin uses inventive 3D computer animation to tell a story about life and death and our own fears before technology and AI in FOREVER.
For the first time, 10 animation films will vie for the Jury Prize for Best Children’s Film. These will include German-based animation director Gil Alkabetz who returns with a delightful story in A STORMY NIGHT while Lithuanian Ignas Meilūnas presents a well-known school story about knowing as opposed to memorising in MATILDA AND THE SPARE HEAD.
The full lineup:
INTERNATIONAL ANIMATION COMPETITION
- 4 NORTH A (Dir. Jordan Canning, Howie Shia, Canada, 2020, BP)
- ANNA, CAT-AND-MOUSE (Dir. Varya Yakovleva, Russian Federation, 2020, BP)
- ARKA (Dir. Natko Stipanicev, Croatia, 2020, BP)
- CAREFUL (Dir. Alice Saey, France, 2020, BP)
- CARROUSEL (Dir. Jasmine Elsen, Belgium, 2020, BP)
- THE CHIMNEY SWIFT (Dir. Frédéric Schuld, Germany, 2020, BP)
- COLDSHOT (Dir. Evin Collis, Canada, 2020, EP)
- CONVERSATIONS WITH A WHALE (Dir. Anna Samo, Germany, 2020, WP)
- CRAB (Dir. Shiva Sadegh Asadi, Iran, 2020, BP)
- THE FABRIC OF YOU (Dir. Josephine Lohoar Self, United Kingdom, 2019)
- FANTASMIA (Dir. Luise Fiedler, Germany, 2019, BP)
- FLESH (Dir. Camila Kater, Brazil, 2019, BP)
- FRIEND OF A FRIEND (Dir. Zachary Zezima, France, 2019, BP)
- GON, THE LITTLE FOX (Dir. Takeshi Yashiro, Japan, 2019, BP)
- HORACIO (Dir. Caroline Cherrier, France, 2020, WP)
- IT WASN'T THE RIGHT MOUNTAIN, MOHAMMED (Dir. Mili Pecherer, France, 2019, BP)
- IT´S ALL THE SALT´S FAULT (Dir. María Cristina Pérez, Colombia, 2020, BP)
- JUST A GUY (Dir. Shoko Hara, Germany, 2020, BP)
- KAPAEMAHU (Dir. Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu, Dean Hamer, Joe WIlson ,United States, 2019, BP)
- KKUM (Dir. KIM Kang-min, Republic of Korea, 2020, BP)
- THE MAN AND THE HEAD (Dir. Nilas Røpke Driessen, Denmark, 2020, BP)
- MILD MADNESS, LASTING LUNACY (Dir. Marine Laclotte, France, 2020, BP)
- THE MISTRESS OF THE COPPER MOUNTAIN (Dir. Dmitry Geller, Russia Federation, 2020)
- MY GALACTIC TWIN GALACTION (Dir. Sasha Svirsky, Russian Federation, 2020, BP)
- PRECIOUS (Dir. Paul Mas, France, 2020)
- PUSH THIS BUTTON IF YOU BEGIN TO PANIC (Dir. Gabriel Böhmer, United Kingdom, 2020, BP)
- SERIAL PARALLELS (Dir. Max Hattler, Hong Kong, 2019, BP)
- THE SIX (Dir. Chen Xi / An Xu, China, 2019, BP)
- SOUVENIR SOUVENIR (Dir. Bastien Dubois, France, 2020, BP)
- TIE (Dir. Alexandra Ramires ( Xá ), Portugal, 2020, BP)
- WASHING MACHINE (Dir. Alexandra Májová, Czech Republic, 2020, BP)
- XYLEM (Dir. Michael Hughes, United Kingdom, 2019, BP)
NEW TALENTS COMPETITION: ANIMATION
- ARMED LULLABY (Dir. Yana Ugrekhelidze, Germany, 2019, BP)
- BLACK SHEEP BOY (Dir. James Molle, France, 2019, BP)
- DÉJEUNER SUR L'HERBE (Dir. Jocelyn Charles, Jules Bourgès, Nathan Harbonn-Viaud, Pierre Rougemont, France, 2019, BP)
- FOREVER (Dir. Mitch McGlocklin, United States, 2020, BP)
- HIT AND RUN (Dir. Hannah Brewerton, United Kingdom, 2020, BP)
- I'M HERE (Dir. Julia Orlik, Poland, 2020)
- INSIDE ME (Dir. Maria Trigo Teixeira, Germany, 2019, BP)
- MARBLES (Dir. Natalia Spychala, Poland, 2019, BP)
- MONACHOPSIS (Dir. van Loon Liesbet, Belgium, 2020, BP)
- NAKED (Dir. Kirill Khachaturov, Russian Federation, 2019)
- NIGHT SHIFT (Dir. Linda Stūre, Latvia, 2019)
- OBSERVATION POINT (Dir. Aleksander Jozefczyk, Poland, 2019, BP)
- PEARL DIVER (Dir. Margrethe Danielsen, Norway, 2020, BP)
- PORTRAIT OF A WOMAN (Dir. Natalia Durszewicz, Poland, 2020, BP)
- UN DIABLE DANS LA POCHE (Dir. Antoine Bonnet & Mathilde Loubes, France, 2019, BP)
KIDS ANIMATION COMPETITION
- BENCH (Dir. Rich Webber, United Kingdom, 2020, BP)
- CORNSTALK (Dir. Anastasiia Zhakulina, Russian Federation, 2020)
- EATEN (Dir. Mohsen Rezapour, Iran, 2019, BP)
- FRIENDS (Dir. Florian Grolig, Germany, 2019, BP)
- HOPUS (Dir. Lucie Kokoliová, Czech Republic, 2019, BP)
- MATILDA AND THE SPARE HEAD (Dir. Ignas Meilūnas, Lithuania, 2020)
- ONE STORMY NIGHT (Dir. Gil Alkabetz, Germany, 2019, BP)
- SO BUT NOT SO (Dir. Pedro Brito, Portugal, 2019, IP)
- TWIN TREES (Dir. Emmanuel Ollivier, France, 2020, IP)
- YOU ARE NOT A KIWI (Dir. Maria Saveleva, Estonia, 2020)
Information on l the candidates for the National Estonian Competition and the rest of the films screening in the PÖFF Shorts side programmes to be announced.
PÖFF Shorts will run from 17th-25th November and takes place both live and online.
SIGN UP: Want to read more free articles like this? Sign up for Our Newsletter