4+3 Animated Films for César Awards 2019
Two Portuguese directors (Alice Eça Guimarães et Mónica Santos) and a Turkish director (Ayce Kartal) find their way into the 44th French César awards, while Michel Ocelot and his new film Dilili in Paris is nominated for a French award in the animation feature film category. 4303 members of the Académie des Arts et Techniques du Cinéma will vote for the winners - to be revealed 22nd February 2019.
In short animation, 4 films (most of which also festival favorites) found their way to the nominations. Notable absences: La Chute by Boris Labbé, Reruns by Rosto, Le Mans 1955 by Quentin Baillieux.
CÉSAR for the Best Animated Short Film
- AU COEUR DES OMBRES (Between the Shadows) Alice Eça Guimarães et Mónica Santos (Pr:Animais AVPL, Vivement Lundi!, Um Segundo Filmes)
In a surreal world where hearts can be deposited in banks so people can avoid falling in love, Natalia sets out on adventure with a man to help him find his stolen heart.
- LA MORT, PÈRE & FILS, Denis Walgenwitz et Winshluss (Prod: Je Suis Bien Content)
Death's son doesn't want to take over the family business. His secret desire to become a guardian angel triggers a series of major mishaps. His dad will have to intervene to get him out of this mess.
- RAYMONDE OU L'ÉVASION VERTICALE, Sarah Van Den Boom (Prod: Papy3D)
Raymonde is really fed up with peas, aphids, dirty panties and the kitchen garden to dig. After all, she would prefer sex, and love, and the immensity of the sky.
- VILAINE FILLE (Wicked Girl), Ayce Kartal (Prod: Les Valseurs)
Through the words of a little girl, Wicked Girl modestly approaches the issue of sexual violence against children, especially in Turkey. The strength and delicacy of this film is also due to its very refined graphic style: 10,000 drawings, made by hand, combining several 2D animation techniques.
In the feature film category, Michel Ocelot's modernist Dilili in Paris got a nomination, along with Asterix: The Secret of The Magic Potion by Alexandre Astier and Louis Clichy, and Pachamama by Juan Antin.
CÉSAR for the Best Animated Feature Film
- ASTÉRIX - LE SECRET DE LA POTION MAGIQUE (Dir: ALEXANDRE ASTIER, LOUIS CLICHY, prod: PHILIPPE BONY)
- DILILI À PARIS (Dir: MICHEL OCELOT, Prod: CHRISTOPHE ROSSIGNON, PHILIP BOËFFARD)
- PACHAMAMA (Dir: JUAN ANTIN, Prod: DIDIER BRUNNER, DAMIEN BRUNNER, OLIVIER DE BANNES)
The 44th annual César ceremony will take place 22 February 2019 (Salle Pleyel).
SIGN UP: Want to read more free articles like this? Sign up for Our Newsletter