Cartoon Forum 2023
The Cartoon Forum was created in 1990 by CARTOON with the support of the MEDIA Programme of the European Union (Creative Europe). It has dynamised European animation: from a craft industry was born a true cultural industry, diverse and at the cutting edge of technology. Since the first Cartoon Forum edition in 1990, over 833 projects (with a total budget of more than 2.89 billion EUR) presented at the Cartoon Forum have secured their financing and are now in production or being aired worldwide
2023 Event Coverage
Call for Projects
Who can present a project?
- European: Any European producer whose registered office is located in a country associated with the Creative Europe - MEDIA Programme can present a new animation project at Cartoon Forum.
Countries associated with Creative Europe - MEDIA: the 27 EU countries + Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Norway and Republic of Serbia. CARTOON also considers eligible projects submitted by production companies based in Armenia, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine.
Attention: since the Brexit, the UK is not part of the eligible countries. Projects submitted by UK-based production companies as main producers are not eligible.
- Please note that:
- Only independant production companies can submit a project.
- Production teams of selected projects must afford registration fees to Cartoon Forum.
Which project can be submitted?
- Only one TV project can be submitted per company.
- An animation project of a minimum running time of 26 minutes
- The project can be a series intended for television (and streaming platforms), or a TV special. The total running time of the project (addition of all foreseen episodes) should be at least 26 minutes. Projects with a total running time shorter than 26 minutes will not be considered.
- All animation techniques are accepted with minimum 50% animation.
- In state of development
- The project should have completed the pre-production phase and be therefore ready to go into production and not yet all the finance assembled.
- Letter of interest: Each project must be accompanied by a written statement of interest from a broadcaster, a streamer attesting to their interest in the project.
- Details and regulations
- Application form
- Deadline: 9 May 2023
Once again, Cartoon Forum line-up featured a wide range of themes, genres, graphic styles and animation techniques, reinforcing thus diversity as one of European animation distinctive features. The number of projects starred by heroines and dealing with ecological concerns kept growing, while diversity and inclusion issues continued to rise to the fore in European animation series.
Literature has established itself as a fertile source of inspiration for animation. Nearly a quarter of the selected projects are adaptations of comic books or books, including “My Dog, God and the Pokethings” (TNZPV Productions), “Blue Wolfie” (Label Anim), and “Suzon” (Mondo TV) from France; “Tales of Terror” (Dream Logic) and “Freddy Buttons Wacky Mysteries” (Treehouse Republic) from Ireland; as well as “Hello, Oscar!” (Atom Art, Latvia), “Welcome to Mamoko” (Pigeon, Poland), and “Fio Lina and the Maestro” (Serienwerk, Germany), among others.
The line-up also included animation documentary series such as “Cannabiz” (Lardux Films & Neos Films, France), and “Starting with Hope” (Moukda Production, France).
2020 Event Coverage
Online Only - Business First
The rebound of the coronavirus in Europe and in France during the month of August, has made organizers to organise Cartoon Forum online only. The objective still remains “Business First”, with the projects as the main priority.
- Full Schedule
- Participants (dated 28/8/20)
- Discover all projects
2019 Event Coverage
- CARTOON Forum Report 2019
- Our Top Picks from CARTOON Forum 2019
- Belgium, Ireland Win at CARTOON Tributes
- 10 CARTOON Forum Projects on HIstory, Society and Politics
- Discover the 2019 CARTOON Tributes Nominees
2018 Event Coverage:
- 7+1 Adult TV Projects for 2018 Cartoon Forum
- 86 Projects for Cartoon Forum, Spotlight on Finland
- Folimage, Ink&Light, Netflix in the CARTOON Tributes Nominess
- From 18/09/2023 to 21/09/2023