European Animation Awards 2020
2020 Dates to be announced
2019 Awards Coverage:
On the occasion of the Cartoon Movie in Bordeaux, the European Animation Awards have announced the time and place of the next edition of the Emile Awards. With the aid of many French and European supporters including the region Hauts de France and Pictanovo, the 2019 Emile Awards edition will be held on Friday, December 6th in Lille, in the Nouveau Siecle auditorium.
This will be the last year the Emile Awards take place in Lille, as part of a 3-year arrangement. EAA sources tell Zippy Frames that at least two other cities, both from the geographical area of Eastern Europe, are candidates to host the 2020 Emile Awards.
In his speech, EAA General Secretary Jean-Paul Commin indicated this edition will be the “last in France before some time”. The EAA assures that the invitations issued by several european cities and countries will permit the Emile Awards to be held outside of France starting 2020. The next edition of the Emile Awards will be announced during the ceremony in December 2019.
Originated from the will of Animation professionals, the Emile Awards celebrates each year the talent from this dynamic and highly creative sector that contribute to make Animation a major, influential field for the European audiovisual world.
2018 Awards News (Archive)
- Another Day of Life, Breadwinner, Funan at the 2018 European Animation Awards
- New EAA Board of Members, Two More Categories Added for Emile Awards
- Clare Kitson Gets Lotte Reiniger Prize from European Animation Awards
This pre-selection process will be made by four Juries, composed of three jurors each. The composition of the juries and the nominated films will be announced during a Press Conference in Athens, Greece (8 Nov 2018), organised in cooperation with Hellenic Republic institutions.
Free memberships for European students:
Students of an art and animation school in Europe are now able to become member of the EAA for free. Proof of enrolment for the 2018/2019 academic year will be required.Member voting will be up till 1 December 2018. (become a EAA member).
It isn't easy to create something new and ambitious like the Emile Awards. All of us involved in its creation are passionate enthusiasts of animation, and in particular of European animation. We felt we understood that world and that the people in it would embrace the project – but of course we didn't know until we tried. Well, we have tried; we've tested the idea and proved that there is a place for it in the animation calendar. Now, in 2018, we want to build on our success. We will be working to spread the membership wider and deeper across Europe and to build a true online community of animation lovers and practitioners. We hope very much that you will be involved with the EAA in 2018 and believe me we welcome your suggestions, your input, your criticisms and your creative solutions.
Above all we welcome your involvement, in every country and every region of Europe, to help us build on the experience of 2017 and make the Emiles of 2018 an even greater success - Peter Lord, President of the EAA
2018 Call for entries:
An Emile Award is allocated for each of the following categories:
Best Achievement in a Student Film / Best Achievement in a Commissioned Film/ Best Direction in an Animated Short Film
Best Direction in a TV/Broadcast Production / Best Direction in a Feature Film
Best Background and Character Design in an Animated Short Film / Best Background and Character Design in a TV/Broadcast Production / Best Background and Character Design in a Feature Film
Best Character Animation in a TV/Broadcast Production/ Best Character Animation in a Feature Film
Best Writing in a TV/Broadcast Production / Best Writing in a Feature Film
Best Storyboard in a TV/Broadcast Production / Best Storyboard in a Feature Film
Best Soundtrack in a TV/Broadcast Production / Best Soundtrack in a Feature Film
Best Sound Design in a TV/Broadcast Production / Best Sound Design in a Feature Film Lotte Reininger Award - Lifetime Achievement (not submitted to the vote)
- Animated Student Films can only enter if they have been either Selected or Awarded in the official competition in at least one of the events listed in Annex 1 between July 31, 2017 and October 15, 2018.
- Commmissioned films can only enter if they have been either Selected or Awarded in the official competition in at least one of the events listed in Annex 1 between July 31, 2017 and October 15, 2018
OR Premiered on television or other qualified broadcast venue (internet and other home-directed Broadcastings) between July 31, 2017 and October 15, 2018
- Animation Short Films can only enter if they have been Awarded in the official competition in at least one of the events listed in Annex 1 between July 31, 2017 and October 15, 2018.
- Feature Animated Films can only enter if they have either Awarded in the official competition in at least one of the events listed in Annex 2 (Anima Brussels, World festival of animated film Animafest ZAGREB, Annecy (France), Karlovy Vary International Film Festival,Cannes Festival, Berlinale, Trickfilm International Animated Film Festival, Stuttgart, Venice Film Festival, Locarno International Film Festival
OR Premiered in cinemas or other qualified broadcast venue (internet and other home-directed Broadcastings) between July 31, 2017 and October 15
OR Be programmed for release in theatres before December 7, 2018.
Deadlines and Fees:
- Applications will be open from July 31 to 15 October 2018.
- Animation Student Shorts entries do not pay a fee. There is a fee of 20 Euros for Animation Shorts and Music Videos, and 50 Euros for feature films, TV/Broadcast and commissioned films (apart from music videos).
- From July 31 onward, a total of 4 Juries will operate a pre-selection process to determine whichanimated works are more deserving to be part of the nominees.
- From November 8 to December 2, all European Animation Awards members will be able to elect the winner for all categories among these nominations. Memberships are open to all, for a fee.
2017 Event Coverage
NB. 2020 Dates are tentative