Encounters Short Film and Animation Festival 2013: Call for entries
- Written by ZF Team
The main competition sections of the 19th edition of the Encounters Short Film and Animation Festival (Brief Encounters and Animated Encounters) are now accepting submissions.
The BAFTA and Oscars® qualifying Encounters festival at Bristol, UK invites submission for its 2013 edition (17-23 September 2013). 188 short films and animations were selected in the 2012 competition across the main festival strands Brief Encounters (live action) and Animated Encounters (animation).
Managing Director Liz Harkman defined 2013's festival mandate by stating that, with the closing down of Worldwide Short Festival in Canada, and the London based Rushes Soho Shorts festival, "now more than ever it's crucial to continue working hard on showcasing, celebrating and inspiring short filmmakers."
Short films and animations from all over the globe are eligible, if they were completed from 1 January 2012, under 30 minutes in length from any genre (fiction, documentary, experimental, music video).
The categories and awards in the Animated Encounters competition are as follows:
- Animated Encounters Grand Prix (£2,000 cash prize - qualifies for an Academy Animation Award nomination)
- Animated Encounters European New Talent Award (for European films produced by either graduating students or a first director credit, €1,000 award)
- Animated Encounters Best of British Award (for animated films produced in Britain or by British directors, £1,000 cash prize - qualifies for a BAFTA award)
- Animated Encounters Best of the South West Award (for animated films made in the South West of England or by South West animators, £500 award)
- Children's Jury Award (all entries, including live-action films, under 15 min. deemed suitable for young audiences, over 7 years old, £500 cash prize)
- Documentary Award (all entries, including live-action films, which present facts rather than fiction and intending to document some aspect of reality,£1,000 cash prize)
Individual entry fee is € 25. Students may benefit from a school submission discount. See all the relevant rules and regulations.
All films must be submitted electronically through Reelport.com
Early deadline: 29 March 2013 (for films completed in 2012)
Final deadline: 3 June 2013 (for films completed in 2013)
Selection notification will occur by the end of July 2013.
The 2012 Animated Encounters festival competition handed out its Grand Prix award to the stop-motion film, Oh Willy (Emma de Swaef, Marc James Roels). Read the full list of awarded films.