Animarkt Stop-Motion Forum
ANIMARKT STOP MOTION FORUM is a unique meeting venue of the field’s top artists, craftsmen, producers, distributors, broadcasters, and investors. Its diversified program offers a unique combination of workshop and vocation-oriented elements on the one hand with networking and business-to-business meetings on the other, while the pitching of short puppet animations is a unique opportunity for artists.
Apart from the Pitching Competition, the main programme will comprise workshops, masterclasses and panel discussions for students and young specialists (the Masters section), this year revolving around topics related to the making of a stop motion puppet as well as relations between animation makers and producers. The third part of the programme – Business, concentrates on establishing contacts in the industry and recruitment sessions for international animation studios or stop motion projects.
2022 Call for entries
This year, for the first time, applications for ANIMARKT Pitching have two formats. One of them is dedicated to short film projects in development (at least the first draft of the script and lasting less than 26 minutes). The second one is for feature films or TV series or TV specials at every stage of production. What’s important is that 80% of the project has to be planned as a stop motion animation. From among all the submitted applications, the selection committee will choose 15 projects in the first category and 10 in the second.
WORKSHOPS (Masters Section)
Participants can choose from workshops dedicated to the development of series for children and character animation. The first one will be led by Christophe Erbes, who is an international consultant for children's media, previously worked, e.g. for Canal + International. He was also a program director at S-RTL Disney and Nickelodeon and managing director at Fox Kids Europe. During classes with Christoph Erbes participants will learn how to structure a created story and how to remain original, and at the same time meet market expectations.
- Documents: CV, description of the idea for an animated project (up to 1200 characters).
- Registration Form
The second workshop – character animation will be hosted by Thiago Calçado, who has worked on such productions as Wes Anderson's Oscar-nominated “Isle of Dogs”, and currently is animating on Guillermo Del Toro's Netflix film “Pinocchio”. In Łódź, he will focus on acting for feature films and the work of the animator on such productions. He will talk about setting up a shot with riggers and the puppets, looking for live action reference, communication with the director or the ability to animate in relation to light or scenography
- Documents: CV, showreel, exercise materials.
- Registration Form
The number of places for both training courses is limited.
- Deadline: 31 August 2022
The lists will be announced on October 1st.
- The Captain and the Ship: Director and Producer in Stop Motion Animation
- Animarkt 2021 Winners
- New Polish Stop-Motion Animation Project
2020 Event Coverage
Selected Stop-Motion Projects
1. A Rede (The Hammock), dir.: Beatriz Lima, prod.: Ana Luisa Lima, country: Brazil
2. Carcassonne-Acapulco, dir.: Marjorie Caup & Olivier Heraud, prod.: 12//24 FILMS, country: France;
3. Communication Lost, dir.: Pablo Muñoz and Vicente Mallols, prod.: Leticia Montalvá - Pangur Animation, country: Spain;
4. Electra. A Poem, dir.: Daria Kashcheeva, prod.: FAMU and co-producer MAUR film - Martin Vandas, Zuzana Krivkova, country: Czech Republic;
5. Fia dir.: Luciana Martinez & Iván Stur, prod.: María Rosario Carlino, country: Argentina;
6. Isolated, dir.: Juan Soto, prod.: Juan Soto, country: Spain;
7. Kabuki, dir.: Tiago Minamisawa, prod.: Wag Films and T Minamisawa, country: Brazil / France;
8. Labra Cadabra, Klaipeda Jazz, dir.: Olga Ti, Julia Titowa, prod.: Valentas Aškinis, country: Lithuania;
9. Roxanda, dir.: Dragan Jovicevic, prod.: Predrag Azdejkovic, country: Serbia;
10. Skin, dir.: Gabriel Nunes do Carmo, prod.: Matias Boeing Eastman & A. K. McCallum, country: Brazil and U.K.;
11. Steps to Fly, dir.: Nicolás Conte, prod.: María Rosario Carlino, country: Argentina;
12. Sweater (working title), dir.: Kinga Gorak, prod.: Kinga Gorak, country: Poland, South Korea;
13. The Day Vladimir Died, dir.: Fadi Syriani, prod.: Roland Fischer, country: Germany;
14. The Family Portrait, dir.: Lea Vidakovic, prod.: Drasko Ivezic, country: Croatia;
15. Yugen: open sky, dir.: Nayelli Ojeda, prod.: Isabel Figueroa, country: Mexico.
Animarkt Pitching 2020 awards:
- vouchers worth PLN 60,000 (approx. 13500 EUR) and PLN 40,000 (approx. 9000 EUR) for using the studio and film production facilities – distinctions funded by the Audiovisual Technology Center (CeTA) in Wrocław
- co-production contribution to the film – funded by the French studio Folimage
- Dragonframe 4 software (with Bluetooth controller)
- expert consultation with Marcin Zalewski – regarding the construction of a puppet
- industry accreditation for Mifa 2021 in Annecy
- 2-week residence at the Quirino Cristiani Animation Center in Cordoba (Argentina) – funded by APALAB including accommodation and mentoring/devlopment
- consultancy in scriptwriting, production and art for development stage, and meetings with Argentine producers
Recognized journalist Nancy Denney-Phelps, member of the International Animated Film Association (ASIFA) and juror at many animation film festivals with links to AWN.com, or Edwina Liard, a French producer from Ikki Films, responsible for example for the success of the animated film "Negative Space" (an Oscar nomination). There will be also a possibility to take part in public speaking exercises with a composer and musician Nik Phelps or discuss scripts with Anna Bielak, a screenwriter and script consultant well known in the Polish animation community.
2019 Event Coverage
- Animarkt, A Top Class Forum of Stop-Motion Animation
- 2019 Animarkt Winners
- Projects Selected
- 2019 Animarkt Workshops and Masterclasses
2018 Event Coverage
- 2018 Animarkt Pitching Winners and Impressions
- 2018 Animarkt Talks: Johan Oettinger, Chris Randall, Kijek/Adamski, Grzegorz Wacławek
- 15 Projects Selected for 2018 Animarkt StopMotion Forum
- LAIKA Will Recruit Animators and Costume Makers During the 3rd Animarkt Stop-Motion Forum
- Beast Animation, Carlos Bleycher, Tim Allen at the 2018 Animarkt Workshops
2017 Event Coverage
The event is organized by MOMAKIN, which combines the world of animation filmmaking with international production, distribution and promotion. It specializes in stop motion and supports animation projects at every stage of their development: from planning and financing through production to distribution.
NB: 2023 Festival Dates are tentative
- From 05/11/2023 to 08/11/2023